I couldn’t put my finger on it but
there was something wrong with the house across from us. Every time we visited the neighbors I felt a
strange malevolence blanketing me, making the hair rise on the back of my neck. It was particularly strong at night when evil
is most powerful.
The rented house had a constant rotation
of new people because no one stayed there for very long. Nobody ever
found happiness there. We often heard
screams at night as the renters slowly became insane. Inside the house, objects moved by themselves
by an unseen force. Several people died by apparently natural causes. The house even burned to ground when it had
been empty for a spell. I thought that
would be the end of the evil but I was wrong.
I found out later it wasn’t the house but the land itself which was tainted.
After I moved away, my mother had her
home blessed by a local Shaman who told her a harrowing tale. Long ago a tribe of Native Americans lived
there with a healer who dabbled with things he shouldn’t have. He became corrupt and instead of helping his
people, he used his powers to kill them. Eventually, his true intentions became clear and
his people killed him but not before he put a curse upon them. From that day forward anyone who died on the
property was bound to it. They became
ghosts forever sealed to the earth, unable to pass on. They grew evil as their rage turned to hatred
... hatred directed towards the living.
I returned after many years, armed
with my camera. On many occasions I have
read that ghosts appear as orbs in pictures.
Ignoring the eerie feeling surrounding me. I began snapping random shots. Each picture had an orb or two in the camera screen. And then … they noticed me. Within moments my camera screen grew white from the amount of orbs. I
hastily departed, the dust rising from my squealing tires.
How much of
the Shaman’s story is true, I cannot say.
This much I do know however, the evil residing there still haunts me
today. There were things upon that
tainted piece of earth watching with hungry eyes, yearning to claim me … for
their collection.
No comments:
Post a Comment